Monday, October 24, 2005

Serendipity

In conversation with a friend last night, I was asked about a collage of images I keep near my desk that showcase various expressions/moods of Oscar Wilde. "Why Wilde?" he asked, and I answered that I liked the attitude. Kenneth Burke writes of symbolic action as "dancing an attitude," and I think Wilde lives into the dance in fascinatingly provocative ways. The friend, a man who has known me for many years now, laughed: "I can see that," he said.

So today? ... serendipity! I open my Google home page to find the "quote of the day":

The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling that I have always cultivated. -Oscar Wilde
You've gotta love the dance!



technorati tags: , ,

1 comment:

Winston said...

Glad to see you're still kicking! This has nothing to do with this post, which is very good and taught me more about Wilde than I ever knew. Just saw this and thought of you:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0753813807/npr-5-20/002-1997004-7886451
If the link gets broken due to the length, let me know and will send it another way.