Thursday, November 24, 2005

Keep It Moving

It's a good day: the words in my world have had the music of thanksgiving. My daughter called - she's currently on duty just outside Baghdad, and we shared the joys of the day in news that she would be gathering to celebrate with friends. My sons and the women in their lives are even now finishing the meal they made together at our family home in Minnesota. I've spent a restful day of catching up on school work and clearing my workspace in preparation for burrowing into a paper due on Monday. I visited with friends online in the blog-bits they left of themselves as notes of grace, kindness, and thanksgiving - a chorus of remembrance for those things most important to them ... to all of us.

Winston reminded me to take time from the day for slowing down. Ronnie made dessert, and Kat brought the best music for the occasion - she always does. It was Kat's posting of Alice's Restaurant that kicked my own ball down the hill into a trail of thoughts that would culminate in this post: the story of Arlo Guthrie took me to the story of Woody Guthrie that led at last to the Wikipedia entry containing this Woody Guthrie quote:

"Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow."

I'd drifted in and out of contemplation today, weighing first one idea and then another and wondering how best I might express a "bottom line" for which I am most grateful, and this quote does it for me. I am thankful that all of life keeps moving. I am glad for family, friends, and good days, but above all else, I am grateful for the ride.


Happy Thanksgiving, All.

technorati tags: , ,

4 comments:

Winston said...

It appears you did slow down and do something for Mary. Excellent! Glad you got to talk to your daughter. You must be getting excited that she's only a few weeks away from coming home.

"... like trying to milk a dead cow." Was Woody poetic or what?

And yes, well put... "grateful for the ride."

Kat said...

I find the music; you give it meaning!

Brenda said...

That's a great quote! Glad it's only a few more weeks... And you're a gift, knowing you is a blessing. Happy Thanksgiving- xo

Junebugg said...

Happy Turkey Day. I'm so glad to hear that your daughter is headed home soon. And Thanks for the quote. I don't believe I've ever heard it before, but it sounds like something that my Granddad would have said.