Wednesday, May 17, 2006

There's a Word for It

Lisa Belkin (NYTimes April 9, 2006) spins a bit of fun from words suggested to describe conditions arising in response to emerging technologies and the changing pace of life. Here are some of my favorites with my own explanations added:

  • screensucking - the inability to function without the mediation of one screen or another to mediate
  • EVM (e-mail voice) - the palpable "absence" evident when the person you're talking to drifts off to an email read
  • frazzing - multitasking that crashes
  • regurgimailer - nothing but forwards
  • cylences - the quiet that happens when real-world conversation gets interrupted by one screen "call" or another
  • cyberdysgraphia - the disappearance of "standard" composition cues
  • chimping - working the keypad with thumbs
  • and... earburst - the result of unintentionally turning the volume up on your iPod
I'm relating to the cylences and to the earburst in particular these days ... ouch and oh, yeah!

1 comment:

Ken said...

I don't think I like chimping. Being one of those people who lives with a Blackberry in one hand and a Treo in the other, I prefer to think of myself as being thumberdextrous.