Friday, June 08, 2007

Detours

A leave of absence from graduate study at Purdue University gave me the opportunity to teach in new venues: college composition and literature for the University of Minnesota, Crookston; and, eighth and tenth grade English at Battle Lake High School. Of course, one never teaches without learning, too, and I'm a better teacher now as a result of the learning I did.

That chapter having passed, preparations for an August return to Purdue are underway, and I find myself excited in anticipation of the work ahead - even while knowing the challenge it will be/already is. I live in a kind of exhale that foretells of almost being home. Detours are good moves for growing - no complaints, but I'm glad to be on the road again.

I am more confident now, less distracted by lofty aspirations, and comfortable to be the thinker I am in company with friends ... the "body electric" that Whitman so rightly sings. Encouragement from Ken moves me to write again, so here I am to think aloud about the books I'm reading, questions that might prompt a compelling dissertation, and connections arising along the way. I have ideas, but the wind is still blowing, and I'm ok with that.

If you've found me again with this writing, don't leave without saying "Hi." It would be great to know some of the old connections have held. -mg

8 comments:

Wil said...

Nice to read you again. I look forward to your particular brand of "thorn in my side" posting. It gets me to thinking...

JB said...

Looking forward to seeing you in August!

dr. b. said...

Welcome back!

Ken said...

I am so glad to see you coming back out into the light. I've missed you, friend.

Winston said...

Praises to Ken for his pushing that got you back to us. Yes, your voice has been missed, and I for one have been checking back here periodically to search for signs of life. Knowing the mission you were on, and why, I never really had any doubt that you would return.

I look forward to following your musings through the summer and as you re-enter the halls of academia. Come over and say hello some time. I'm still the same confused and confusing guy doing the same ol' same ol.

Nice new look to Body Electric, including the new photo.

Sentinel 47 said...

Love the blog makeover! Thanks for the update to our little online circle. I like finding you here...

tamarika said...

I've found you again! Gee, it took awhile. And you were right there, all this time, on my blog-roll! Go figure! Welcome back, hugely.

Brenda said...

So glad you've resurfaced for a bit... I've wondered how you were doing, missed you, am happy to hear your exciting teaching career is progressing in new venues and that you are, as ever, reaching out with your considerable intellect and passion into the mysteries of life. *hugs