Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Building Cases: Writing Stories

Brenda Mathiesen is both a good friend and an artist - a lucky combination for me as it turns out. Brenda's latest medium is "found" luggage, particularly small, American Tourister cases that once carried cosmetics and spoke of accomplishment in the world. Brenda writes stories-to-go on cases she hopes will continue to be used. Mine will probably take up permanent residence on blue carpet in the growing collection of stories being told there.

The "story" Brenda writes about me reflects the time we shared together at Battle Lake: puzzle pieces, literature, bold colors, technology, tugs-of-war, lions roaring, chains, pearls, and words ... good words.

Some of the highlights include

  • f8 NO Ctrl
  • Pause Break Home ... Bemidji
  • Energy
  • Possibility
  • Dream
  • Writing
  • Learn
  • Definitely
  • Jane Eyre: "I am sure there is a future state; I can resign my immartal part to God without any misgiving. God is my father. God is my friend: I love Him; I believe He loves me."
  • butterflies
  • hands to touch
  • and, Benjamin Franklin
Thanks, Brenda. I feel the love.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a cool idea!
I wish I still had a luggage case that was my grandmothers..I'd do something to it..
Really great idea again!
Hugs!

hestiahomeschool said...

I am a newbie to altered books, too. What a great idea! I would love to do something like this, and we find these wee suitcases at our thrift shops all the time (I homeschool and I like to keep pens and crayons and stuff in them...)

love, Kas

http://journals.aol.com/hestiahomeschool/HomeschoolingJournal/

Carrie Harris said...

I'm Brenda's sister-in-law from PA. I already knew she had wonderful gifts and talents and I am glad they are recognized by others. I hope these talents bring her great success.