Sunday, September 30, 2007

Family: We Need the Children

Update: My students' work is now open for viewing at Composing English. If any of you have the time to take a look, I would be grateful, and I know they are excited to think that their audience has just grown past the boundaries of a classroom. ... good on you all!

You might enjoy taking a look at some of the work we're doing in first-year composition at Purdue. The slide show below is my "model" for the assignment relating to Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. Students were asked to compose a multimedia "argument" responding to one of two themes defined for this work: the commodification of life or defining the boundaries that compose "family." Student work is available for viewing at Composing English. Of course, if you see something you like there, but sure and leave a comment. You will be their first public audience, and, as you might imagine, they are a bit nervous about it! ... all part of the fun.

Here's my composition: Family, We Need the Children

3 comments:

narrator said...

great idea to expand the audience, and provide a more fully authentic audience.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your slide show. I will keep checking for more of the class entries.

Yvonne W said...

I checked out the students' work. Wow! What a great group. You must enjoy working with this class. I was happily surprised to see several students fearlessly expressing their faith-based values.